GAZELLE PipelineBy NET4GAS | January 14th, 2013 | Category: NET4GAS, News by Client | No Comments »
GAZELLE pipeline will reinforce security of natural gas supplies and raising the strategic importance of the Czech Republic
The gas industry is a major component of the Czech energy sector, and no other energy source can match the possibilities and guarantees offered by gas. Not only is it the most environmentally friendly of all non-renewable energy sources, but the conditions that have been established in the Czech Republic to ensure the security and reliability of its supplies are well above the norm. A key role in this has been played by the diversification of transport routes, allowing gas to flow to the Czech Republic from Norway as well as Russia.
The forthcoming interconnection of the northern and southern routes by the GAZELLE pipeline will further reinforce this security, while at the same time raising the strategic importance of the Czech Republic on the European backbone route bringing natural gas from Russia to the West. The countries of the European Union are dependent on imports for more than half their fuel and energy, and by 2050 this proportion is set to rise to as high as 80 percent. For this reason, EU countries are jointly searching for ways to increase the security and reliability of their supplies. The new high-pressure pipeline planned in the Czech Republic is one of them.
This new route will connect the Czech Republic to Russian gas supplies coming into Europe by the “Northern Route” – i.e. the Nord Stream pipeline running along the bed of the Baltic from Russia to Greifswald, Germany. This then connects to the OPAL pipeline, which will run as far as the village of Brandov on the German-Czech border.
The construction designer of the new pipeline is ILF Consulting Engineers, s.r.o., which is also preparing all the project documentation, running from the Basic Design through to the Detailed Design materials. Negotiations regarding property rights and public hearings in relation to the construction and associated engineering work are being handled for NET4GAS, s.r.o by RWE Plynoprojekt, a.s.
Significance of the Gazelle pipeline
- Increased security of gas supply within the European Union. The Gazelle pipeline is a new transmission route for Russian gas which will have strategic importance in the event of an interruption of supplies via Ukraine.
- Substantial increase in reliability of gas supplies in all CEE markets, i.e., including the Czech Republic.
- Strengthening of the Czech Republic’s strategic importance along the European backbone transit route, in that it transits natural gas from East to West.
- Diversification of gas supplies to the Czech and European market becomes possible.
- Unlocking of capacities in the extant Czech transmission system. Under short-term aspects, the Gazelle pipeline will in the case of a suspension of supplies be able to receive gas quantities at other border transfer points. Under long-term aspects, the border transfer point in Brandov will allow for the usage of sufficient entry capacities as needed under the long-term contracts on supplies for domestic consumption in the Czech Republic.
- As a new source of supplies, it increases the flexibility with which we can respond to critical situations in the gas market.
NET4GAS is a reliable, strong and secure long-distance gas pipeline network operator who guarantees domestic and foreign partners availability of the transport capacity they need. All gas distributors are guaranteed non-discriminatory access to the gas transport system. NET4GAS s.r.o transports natural gas in the Czech Republic using a pipeline network that is 3,642 kilometres in length.
Contact for press:
T: +420 220 225 427
M: +420 739 537 461